Harry Potter Survey

Harry Potter Survey

Isabelle A., Editor

Harry Potter, a series now over two decades old, still remains prevalent in pop culture today. So, I conducted a survey that garnered 26 responses to see who in BT has watched the series and/or read the books as well as who enjoys Harry Potter as a whole.

44.4% of students have read the entire Harry Potter series, 14.8% read some of the books, and 40.7% did not read any. While this may seem low at first glance, many students do not read recreationally. So, over 50% of students being familiar with at least one book of the series is a surprisingly large number.

When asked whether the surveyed have watched the movies, 55.6% watched all of them and 33.3% said they watched some. Only 11.1% have never seen a Harry Potter movie.

Now, onto the more important bit:  Do students enjoy the series? 59.3% stated that they like Harry Potter, 25.9% said only “somewhat,” and only 14.8% dislike/do not know anything about the series.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is the #5 best-selling book of all time, with a staggering 107 million copies sold. Whether one has read the series, watched the movies, or consumed no Harry Potter media at all, almost everyone has heard the name “Harry Potter”.

My next survey question was: What Hogwarts house are you in? In Harry Potter, every student at Hogwarts is sorted into one of four houses: Gryffindor (bravery and courage), Hufflepuff (loyalty and hard work), Ravenclaw (learning and wisdom), or Slytherin (ambition and cunning). For those who did not know their house, I attached a Hogwarts house quiz in the description. Here are the results.

The most popular houses were tied for first with both Gryffindor and Hufflepuff at 34.6%. Slytherin was next at 19.2% and the least popular was Ravenclaw, my house, which was 11.5%.

Lastly, I asked for everyone’s favorite Harry Potter character. The results differed greatly:

Albus Dumbledore x2

Bellatrix Lestrange

Dobby

Draco Malfoy

Harry Potter x2

Hermione Granger x5

Luna x2

Neville

McGonagall

Ron x3

Severus snape x2

Sirius black x2

Remus Lupin

Ginny Weasley

Fred Weasley

George Weasley

A conclusion can be made that despite its age, Harry Potter is still relevant and everyone has different levels of Harry Potter media consumption. If you have not yet read the series, I encourage you to do so.