The Student News Site of Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School

Kol BT

• March 8Spring Sports Season! Support Your Friends!
  • March 7Pesach One Month Away!
  • September 28Check out the Science Club's Newsletter

Kol BT

Kol BT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

New Turf Field at BT

https%3A%2F%2Fkeystonesportsconstruction.com%2Fwhat-is-the-function-of-rubber-pellets-in-synthetic-turf%2F
https://keystonesportsconstruction.com/what-is-the-function-of-rubber-pellets-in-synthetic-turf/

Have you ever run into a field, waiting to feel the blades of grass on your fingers, only to be met with plastic shreds? Turf is a comparatively new system of technology for soccer, lacrosse, football, and other sports that involve a grass field. Beth Tfiloh fields have been plain grass since the school began. Now, the Lower Field is being replaced with turf. Avi Benus ‘94, whose family donated the field, played on the field from 1990-1994 as the star midfielder for the Beth Tfiloh soccer team. When I asked him about the field that he played on and his thoughts on the turf we will have by spring time, he explained he had “the same [field] since the 90s, not a great field” so “[he’s] excited to have a good clean smooth surface for kids to play.” The soccer teams, lacrosse teams, and softball team are also all excited for the new field and we can’t wait for it to be finished. 

 Matt Smith, boys varsity soccer coach says turf will allow the team to train differently and have different practice drills. A statement from Dr. Schorr says the field will place us in an elevated category for sports and, in general, benefit our image within the community. “Aside from the quality of the playing on the field, it will make it more desirable for other teams to want to play on our campus.” says Dr. Schorr.  

The Benus family has been planning to sponsor the new field for two years. But when their father, Jacob Benus, died it pushed them to follow through. The senior Mr. Benus loved BT and wanted it to be a center of Jewish and general studies as well as athletics. Mr. Benus also loved soccer so sponsoring the field in his name felt right to the family. It will be known as The Jacob Benus Memorial Field.  

“Though the grass field gave us a home field advantage,” says Coach Matt, “we are excited to practice differently than other teams in our league.” When asked what the field will be used for, Coach Fuld, the Athletic Director and basketball coach said it will be used for boys and girls soccer, boys and girls lacrosse, and softball. It will have a new scores table, benches for players, and handicap accessible seating. One of the best features will be that when it rains the field won’t flood, preventing future canceled games or practices.