The Student News Site of Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School

Kol BT

• March 8Spring Sports Season! Support Your Friends!
  • March 7Pesach One Month Away!
  • September 28Check out the Science Club's Newsletter

Kol BT

Kol BT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Finding Family in Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Shazam! Fury of the Gods is a great follow-up to the 2019 film, Shazam!, which follows the journey of Billy Batson, who searches for his family after being alone most of his life. By the end of the first movie, Billy realizes that the family he had been searching for was not actually his biological one, but instead his foster family right in front of him. Billy then decides to share the power of Shazam (power of someone like Superman) with his new foster siblings.  

The sequel finds the Shazam family having to battle the daughters of Atlas who are in search of the seed of life. The message of the second film is to not leave a family member behind, because you are not as strong alone as you are together. 

Billy constantly reminds his siblings that it is “all or none” in their superhero life. This can be applied in our lives at Beth Tfiloh as we are stronger together, and if we help each other and build a strong community, then we truly follow God’s message of all Jews being responsible for one another. 

In my opinion, the film lacked the balance between Zachary Levi (Shazam as an adult) and Asher Angel (Billy Batson as a kid) that the first movie had. More scenes away from the action, with the kids at school or lounging around could have helped enrich the plot too.  

Overall, I really enjoyed the plot of the movie. I thought the plot was exciting, compelling, and there were no dull moments. The movie was more focused than its predecessor, as the story was clear and not full of out-of-place moments like the original. The comedic relief was also a strong element. 

Just as Billy Batson can find his family, we can also find our true family through this community at Beth Tfiloh.