The Student News Site of Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School

Kol BT

• March 8Spring Sports Season! Support Your Friends!
  • March 7Pesach One Month Away!
  • September 28Check out the Science Club's Newsletter

Kol BT

Kol BT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Teacher Spotlight: Señorita Lilia Botelho

%2ASe%C3%B1orita+Botelho+is+on+the+right%2A+
*Señorita Botelho is on the right*

Señorita Lilia Botelho brings the exciting spirit of Spain and Portugal into the classrooms of Beth Tfiloh. Born in Portugal and deeply connected to her Spanish roots through her mother, she has experienced a diverse mix of cultures throughout her life. She has a deep love for language and education which helps shape who she is.Reflecting on her dedication to her students, Señorita Botelho shares, “I’ve always wanted to have a positive impact on youth.”

Fourteen years ago, Señorita Botelho embarked on a new chapter in her life, relocating to the United States after marrying her American husband. Her passion for languages and education was a driving force, fueled by the inspiring high school teachers who left a lasting impression on her. She wanted to share her love for her native language and culture with her students.

Upon her move to the Baltimore area from Chicago, Señorita Botelho came to BT and she has since become an integral part of the community immediately feeling a great sense of belonging. When Señorita Bothelo moved to Baltimore from Chicago, she immediately joined BT to teach Spanish. Since then, she has become an integral part of the community, feeling a great sense of belonging.

When not in the classroom, Señorita Botelho holds special interests in cooking, gardening, and especially dancing. As a zumba instructor, Botelho passionately shares her love for Latin American rhythms with her students and the community through the dance classes she conducts.

In describing her teaching philosophy, Señorita Botelho explains the importance of creating personal connections with her students. She elaborates that “whenever I teach my language and my culture, I am sharing a little bit of myself with each and every one of my students.”

When offering advice to her students, Señorita Botelho stresses the significance of language immersion. She encourages students to engage with the language by listening to music, watching movies, reading, and practicing with native speakers. “Immerse yourself in the language as much as you can,” she advises. She also believes in finding one’s purpose and motivation while working diligently to achieve goals. Following these principles are key during high school.

Señorita Botelho shares, “I love giving my students the superpower of communicating with millions of people from (at least!) 21 different countries and offering them a unique perspective of their diverse cultures.”

Señorita Botelho’s unwavering dedication to teaching, her passion for language and culture, and her commitment to her students make her an invaluable member of the Beth Tfiloh family. Her positive influence on the youth and the community continues to shine brightly, enriching the lives of those she touches with her knowledge and enthusiasm.