The Student News Site of Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School

Kol BT

• March 8Spring Sports Season! Support Your Friends!
  • March 7Pesach One Month Away!
  • September 28Check out the Science Club's Newsletter

Kol BT

Kol BT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The 10th year since the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

Sandy Hook memorial opened in November 2022, about 10 years after Sandy Hook shooting

School shootings have a huge impact on a child’s upbringing and can shatter their perception of reality. December fourteenth marks the tenth year since the tragedy of the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting, killing twenty first graders and six adults.  

At the age of seven, Cyrena Arokium’s childhood was detrimentally affected after  witnessing her favorite teacher and classmates being shot and murdered in Sandy Hook Elementary school. She has been advocating against gun violence and for more gun restrictions with officials of America for the past ten years. She remarks, “it felt like I failed,” commenting specifically on the recent Texas Uvalde elementary school shooting.  

Many gun laws have passed since the Sandy Hook school shooting, but not enough to protect the victims of the 600 mass murders in 2022. Sen. Dianne Feinstein proposed a bill for the ban of assault weapons and Sen. Joe Manchin proposed a bill for a mandated criminal background check for firearms; however, both bills were rejected.  

The National Rifle Association promoted the idea of introducing more police or armed security guards to schools. Twenty percentof schools did so. However, did that really accomplish what they thought it would? 

With increased school shootings, victims, relatives of victims, friends of victims, and advocates for victims were expectedly not satisfied with the gun legislations and restrictions in America. After all, other countries with increased gun control have significantly fewer mass shootings overall.  

Sandy Hook Promise, an organization led by families of the Sandy Hook victims, hopes to end gun violence and educate on the signs of gun violence to everyone. Mark Barden, CEO of Sandy Hook Promise, believes that “Gun violence is preventable when we take action to save lives, including legislative action to pass gun safety measures.”