Teacher Spotlight: Dr. Wilson

Jacob B., Reporter

Dr. Wilson, a new Beth Tfiloh teacher, has had a wonderful first impression of Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community High School, describing everyone as “very welcoming.” This year, Dr. Wilson will teach biology, chemistry, and biotechnology.

“I was first attracted by the school website. It quickly became clear that the teachers and administrators here care very much about the school, about teaching, and about students as people,” Wilson said.

Dr. Wilson received a full scholarship for college from Mississippi University for Women and double majored in biology and chemistry. Additionally, she earned a Master’s degree from Purdue University in chemistry and a Ph.D. from the University of Cincinnati in biochemistry. Finding it rewarding to watch people realize that they can learn things they had believed would be too difficult, Dr. Wilson chose to teach as a profession.

Outside of school, Dr. Wilson’s favorite activities are camping, hiking, reading, and cooking. Her favorite books are Anne of Green Gables, Guns, Germs and Steel, and antique cookery books. She also enjoys works by John Grisham and Ursula K. LeGuin. Dr. Wilson describes the Grand Canyon as the most impressive place she has ever visited.

Dr. Wilson has many goals for the year, both inside and outside of the classroom.

“I want to get to know people at Beth Tfiloh better. I am looking forward to putting together teaching materials for the biotech course. I want to explore Baltimore when Covid is under better control,” Wilson said.

The best piece of advice that Dr. Wilson can offer high school students would be to “try out new classes, clubs and other school activities with an open mind. High school is a great time to explore what you like and who you are,”  Wilson said.

Dr. Wilson is very excited for the opportunity to teach science at Beth Tfiloh because she likes the fun of learning.