How to Get Into (or back into) Reading

With the workload and stress that students endure in high school, it’s difficult to find the time to read a book — especially when it seems like it’s adding to your workload.

How to Get Into (or back into) Reading

Isabelle A., Reporter

With the workload and stress that students endure in high school, it’s difficult to find the time to read a book — especially when it seems like it’s adding to your workload.  Watching Netflix or scrolling through social media provides a mindless break whereas reading a book often requires additional mental effort.

However, this is the exact reason to read a book.  It transports you to new worlds and introduces a new way of thinking so your brain is not being rotted by the endless scroll.  That’s not to say one should never engage in mindless activities, but there should be a healthy balance.

Now that you’ve decided, “I want to get back into reading,” the question left is: how?  The obvious answer may be to pick up a book, though it’s important to pick the right one to start your reading journey.

If you begin reading in your free time and pick up an 800-page classic novel, it’s likely you won’t get through the first 100 pages without finding it a bore.  If you can read along, philosophical novel after not reading anything but school books for your whole life, I applaud you.  Since this does not apply to your everyday high schoolers, here are some alternatives.

I recommend YA (young adult)  fantasy or sci-fi novels, ones with an easy-to-follow plot that is gripping enough to keep you interested.  Some easy books that I have suggested for new readers are Ready Player One by Ernest Cline; the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling; the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo; any John Green novel; and the Hunger Gamesby Susan Collins.

After you’ve read your fair share of YA, you can venture out and read books which require more attention and thought or you can stick to the feel-good YA novels.  Either way, pick up a book, or two, and start reading.