The Student News Site of Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School

Kol BT

• March 8Spring Sports Season! Support Your Friends!
  • March 7Pesach One Month Away!
  • September 28Check out the Science Club's Newsletter

Kol BT

Kol BT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Gypsy Rose

Gypsy+Rose
    Rebecca Rommen (Business Insider)

Seven years ago, Gypsy Rose Blanchard was sent to prison for conspiring in the murder of her mother. Believed to have Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a mental illness causing a caretaker to fake their child being sick for attention, Dee Dee Blanchard forced her daughter to undergo countless medical procedures and medications as a form of abuse. Gypsy and Godejohn, Gypsy’s boyfriend at the time, planned to murder her mother, Godejohn followed through in 2015, when he stabbed Dee Dee seventeen times. Godejohn was given a life sentence, while Gypsy received only ten years due to her participatory role in the murder. She was released three years early on December 28, 2023. This story is incredibly unique as it captures the dangers and harm caused by undetected illnesses.

Despite the abuse she was subjected to, Gypsy expressed the regret she feels for killing her mother in multiple interviews after her release. She said, “I’m glad that I’m out of that situation, but not happy she’s dead.” Many expected Gypsy to continue to feel a malicious hatred towards her mother even after prison, however, Gypsy astonishingly seems to have somewhat forgiven her mother and begins to comprehend her disorder. 

Furthermore, Gypsy’s case gained much popularity with multiple shows released, which were inspired by her story being released. For example, award-winning shows The Act, The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard, Mommy Dead and Dearest, Gypsy’s Revenge, and Love you to Death have captured the public’s attention.

Because of her growing popularity from these shows that were released during her time in prison, she received many letters from men asking to marry her. She chose to marry Ryan Anderson while in prison. Gypsy worked hard to continue her life behind bars, 

Gypsy Rose Blanchard made a lasting impact today. She raised awareness of her mother’s disease, Munchausen syndrome by proxy, became an influential and popular figure in true crime media with several documentaries and television series about her, and shed light on the challenges faced by individuals with disabilities and the need for better support systems.

Works Cited:

https://www.biography.com/crime/gypsy-rose-blanchard-mother-dee-dee-murder

https://www.businessinsider.com/gypsy-rose-blanchard-movie-tv-shows-documentaries-the-act-2024-1#1-the-prison-confessions-of-gypsy-rose-blanchard-lifetime-1