Teacher Profile: Mrs. Goodwin

Mrs. Goodwin and her family

Shuli G., Reporter

This year we welcomed a new teacher, Mrs. Goodwin, in 9th, 11th, and 12th grade English. 

Mrs. Goodwin was generous enough to take time during the busy back-to-school weeks to sit down in her office and answer students’ most burning questions. 

Though not a BT alumnus, she grew up in the area and is a proud Pikesville alumnus.  However, she distinctly remembers having friends who were BT students and thinks BT is “a fabulous school.” In addition, she enrolled her three children at BT; Samuel in first grade, Jacob in the 4’s, and Rita in the 2’s.  

Something Mrs. Goodwin appreciates about BT is the love for Israel. Having seen BT graduates move on to do even “bigger and better things,” like extraordinary achievements and admission to impressive colleges. Her inspiration stems from her mother, also an English teacher, whose love of teaching influenced her. Mrs. Goodwin, both a dedicated and incredible teacher and a loving and thoughtful parent, wishes “to have a successful year as both a teacher and a mom.” 

When Mrs. Goodwin isn’t teaching, she either relaxes with her family, rides her bike, or listens to music. Her favorite books are To Kill a Mockingbird, Night, and Before We Were Yours. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of her favorites because she was influenced by Atticus Finch that she could make a positive change in the world just like him. Night is one of her favorites because both of her mothers parents were Holocaust survivors, the only ones in their families. Also, because her mother was born in Germany in 1948, once her child was born, their family moved to the US to  maintain their Jewish identity. Before We Were Yours is also one of her favorite books because it went from past to present from the narrator’s perspective which she particularly loved and it is historical fiction, one of her favorite book genres.

Her advice to students struggling: “Whatever you are dealing with and whatever is difficult for you now, you will get through it, and you will be successful.”